FreeBSD/amd64 6.1-RELEASE on AMD Turion64

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 07:50:16 PDT 2006

On 10/23/06, Walter Brunswick <walterbrunswick at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an issue regarding the installation of FreeBSD/amd64 on an HP
> notebook computer with an AMD Turion64 single-core uniprocessor.
>
> The following conversation took place on ##freebsd on freenode on Oct 23
> 2006.
>
> 16:17.22  < waltz> question: when I tried to install FreeBSD/amd64 on my
> laptop during the initial boot there were strange hexadecimal characters
> scrolling on the screen

> I really don't know what it is, but I didn't see the Turion64 processor
> listed anywhere in the supported hardware list.
>
> Is this a bug? If not, what could the problem possibly be?

It's a strange little bug, that I had come across when setting up my
dv8000 laptop.  I could boot the FreeBSD/i386 CD with no problems, but
the screen would dump these hex characters that would continuosly
scroll across the screen when booting the FreeBSD/amd64 CD.

I'm still seeing the same problem with the FreeBSD/amd64 6.2-Beta2 CD
(tested bootonly CD).  My solution was to hit the space bar until the
speakers beeped for a couple of seconds (when you see
/boot/kernel/kernel you can release the space bar), then it loads and
executes the kernel and proceeds to sysinstall.

On 3/22/06, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel at gmail.com> wrote:
>Subject: FreeBSD/AMD64 6.1-Beta4: Strange problem with install CDs
boot loader

> I recently purchased a HP Pavilion dv8135nr Laptop.
>
>  The strange problem I had was that when the boot loader would load
> it would crash if I didn't touch any key on the keyboard.
>
> The last thing I saw, before it crashed was it reading the
> /boot/loader.conf off the CD.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to read
> the crash, as the screen at that point was unreadable.  I suspect that
> the point in which it crashed was when it was loading the kernel, but
> before it displayed the message that it was loading
> /boot/kernel/kernel.
>
> This problem occured with both the FreeBSD/AMD64 boot-only and disc1
> install CD-ROMs.
>
>  Thinking that I may need to disable something with acpi, I tried to
> break into the boot loader by pressing the space bar repeatedly.  But
> it wouldn't break into the boot loader, instead it loaded the kernel
> and I was able to install FreeBSD/AMD64  6.1-Beta 4.
>
> Once I had FreeBSD/AMD64 6.1-Beta 4 installed, I was able to
> repeatedly boot the system from the Hard Drive without the boot loader
> crashing.

Scot

P.S. you'll also need to get the 64bit Windows NDIS driver for the
Broadcom Wireless adapter, and build the ndis kernel module to use the
wireless adapter in the laptop.  You'll need to locate the file named
80211g.zip,  if you can't find it, I can send you the file.

--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.