RAID on Tyan Tomcat K8E

Daniel Rock freebsd at deadcafe.de
Fri Feb 24 14:10:19 PST 2006

Ashley Moran schrieb:
> On Friday 24 February 2006 16:49, Ken Gunderson wrote:
>> I have a couple of these systems.  Why would you want to use the POS
>> onboard RAID to set up a mirror when there's gmirror;-)
>
> Do you really think so little of on-board RAID?  Is it that board in
> particular, or on-board RAID in general?  I feel safer somehow with anything
> hardware based as opposed to pure software solutions.  Maybe my faith is
> misplaced...

The onboard RAID (NvRaid) is no real RAID but relying on a device driver for
the RAID functionality and a little help from BIOS for booting. The real RAID
functionality lies completely inside the device driver (see
/sys/dev/ata/ata-raid.c). So you really just have the choice between two
different software solutions: "device ataraid" or "options GEOM_MIRROR".

Daniel