RAID on Tyan Tomcat K8E

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Fri Feb 24 10:20:00 PST 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:45:37 +0000
Ashley Moran <work at ashleymoran.me.uk> wrote:

> On Friday 24 February 2006 16:49, Ken Gunderson wrote:
> > I have a couple of these systems.  Why would you want to use the POS
> > onboard RAID to set up a mirror when there's gmirror;-)
>
> Do you really think so little of on-board RAID?  Is it that board in
> particular, or on-board RAID in general?  I feel safer somehow with anything
> hardware based as opposed to pure software solutions.  Maybe my faith is
> misplaced...
>
> I have to admit I had spontaneous disk corruption recently on a server using
> motherboard RAID on an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Athlon64 but in i386 mode).
> The disks appear to be fine so it looks like the RAID controller went postal.
> I've replaced the board with an Asus A8V Deluxe (which also helps as it runs
> in amd64 mode) and the RAID seems fine now but I'll be watching it closely.
>
> We're just about to order a batch of new servers and I was asking if the RAID
> works on the K8E to save us £100 or so.  But network admin lad next to me
> says he wouldn't risk it and we're better with the 3ware 8006-2 card so we
> will probably go with that.
>
> No chances on the database servers though: ARC-1120s RAID-6 in each :D

I've been using gmirror for a while now.  It rocks.  Suggest you
_seriously_ take a look at if you want to save some bucks.  Especially
since those 3ware cards aren't cheap.  And especially since all you're
doing is a simple mirror.  I've had to rebuild a failed mirror w/
gmirror and it's a pleasure.  Very easy.  Minimal downtime.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?