R_X86_64_32

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Wed Aug 31 15:51:43 GMT 2005

On Aug 30, 2005, at 3:23 PM, Tommi Lätti wrote:

> I even diff'ed the config.status files from both machines when they
> generated them during portinstall. No difference. Anyways, usually
> this error occurs only when linking to some library that was a
> dependancy as far as I've understood.

it happens any time you try to use a shared library built from some
software which has only been tested on i386 architecture...
basically, some lazy developer decided that to build a shared library
they just take the existing objects and lump them together.  on
modern architectures like amd64 and sparc, this doesn't work unless
those objects are built with -fPIC.

basically it is a result of bad software configuration.  the easy fix
is to just add -fPIC to your CFLAGS for such software. the correct
fix is to redo how it builds shared libraries so that -fPIC is only
used on those and not the static libraries too.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806