Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux/AMD64 Vs. FreeBSD/AMD64?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Tue May 18 17:30:05 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 18 May 2004 10:36 am, JG wrote:

> MySQL Statically compiled with libc_r
                                                             ^^^^^
That's your killer.  You're using the the single-process polling loop
based threads and comparing it to linux's parallel process based
threads.  The moment one thread blocks on disk IO, everything stops.

You want -lpthread instead, but this isn't going to be happy on
5.2.1-RELEASE.  I've fixed a lot of bugs in 5-current that would mean
the difference between it working versus crashing.

Also, there are patches to change MySQL to use PTHREAD_SCOPE_PROCESS
threads with -lpthread.  This works out a little better on benchmarks
since it can make better use of the ligher weight context switches.

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com