machine check on 4100 5.4-RELEASE

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Thu Aug 18 23:10:18 GMT 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 10:24:42AM -0500, harrisb at rcisd.org wrote:
> Here's the panic info:

> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0a
>
> unexpected machine check:
>
>     mces    = 0x1
>     vector  = 0x670
>     param   = 0xfffffc0000004e10
>     pc      = 0xfffffc000072faa8
>     ra      = 0xfffffc000072bba4
>     curproc = 0xfffffc002e7cc000
>         pid = 693, comm = perl5.8.6

I could be completly wrong, but vector 0x670 (on AS4100) should be
CPU detected errors, such as cache failure - either B-Cache or
internal, which points to a CPU module.

Are they always the same, or will they happen at random times?

In any case you should check the SRM error log - might be something
interesting in there.
If they are logged they should appear as MCHK 670 events.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de