machine check on 4100 5.4-RELEASE

harrisb at rcisd.org harrisb at rcisd.org
Thu Aug 18 15:22:03 GMT 2005

Here's the panic info:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0a

unexpected machine check:

    mces    = 0x1
    vector  = 0x670
    param   = 0xfffffc0000004e10
    pc      = 0xfffffc000072faa8
    ra      = 0xfffffc000072bba4
    curproc = 0xfffffc002e7cc000
        pid = 693, comm = perl5.8.6

panic: machine check
cpuid = 1
boot() called on cpu#0
Uptime: 1m50s
Cannot dump. No dump device defined.

The perl script running is my mrtg scripts that start
from rc.d.

Bill Harris
Director of Technology
Royse City ISD
(972)-635-5050

Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely12.cicely.de>
08/18/05 06:15 AM
Please respond to
ticso at cicely.de

harrisb at rcisd.org
cc
freebsd-alpha at freebsd.org
Subject
Re: machine check on 4100 5.4-RELEASE

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 04:53:28PM -0500, harrisb at rcisd.org wrote:
> All of a sudden, I'm getting regular crashes with machine check's.
>
> I've pulled one of the 533 CPU's, which didn't help, and now am
> wondering if it's possible that my instance of Mysql with all it's
> unaligned errors
> could possibly cause it crash?  I've stopped the mysql daemon for a
> while just to see if it stabilizes.   Anyone have any ideas?
>
> It will crash after it's been up for days, and then immediately after
> reboot.

Details about the machine checks would be interesting.

Unaligned errors in userland are corrected or the appplication is
terminated, depending on configuration.
Only unaligned faults inside the kernel are fatal.

> I keep thinking hardware, but all the srm test fine.

Hard- and software is possible, but without further details this is
hard to say.

bernd at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de