freebsd-advocacy Digest, Vol 124, Issue 3

ac ac at miensk.com
Fri Nov 4 16:28:10 PST 2005

Nicole wrote:

> I know that. I was trying to convey how it's just too basic to make into
>something that could be easily conveighed. IE if you break it down to its basic
>form.. It looks like a rounded viking helmet.
>

> [snip]
>
> I just don't find the new "logo" catchy and singularly identifiable enough
>without all the cool shading effects and such.

You're right! Look, you've said "_singular_ identifiability", exactly
that's why the new logo was introduced - Beastie has too much
associations in many corners of the mind. And this is uresolvable problem.

The new logo has problems regarding identifiabilty, but it's the matter
of time and promotion.

> If you can't draw it on a
>blackboard and have people know what it is, it's not going to be effective.

You're wrong here. Many most known signs were made from almost
meaningless - at the moment of invention - graphics. Nike's logo as a
good example. This way you can ensure that it will be _singular_
identifiable, after you give it meaning by promotion (or simply by
utilization).

> It's no more emotional than if someone changed the theme song to your favorite
>TV to something you disliked or changed the packaging for you favorate soda or
>something.

I understand you, but anyway, the new logo is right decision