freebsd-advocacy Digest, Vol 124, Issue 3

Nicole nicole at unixgirl.com
Thu Nov 3 22:54:55 PST 2005

On 04-Nov-05 My Homeland Security "observers" reported that ac said:
> Nicole, you're too emotional, I think. Nobody's gonna force you to make
> new tattoo. Nobody's even gonna force you to use the logo, if you
> dislike it.

 I know that. I was trying to convey how it's just too basic to make into
something that could be easily conveighed. IE if you break it down to its basic
form.. It looks like a rounded viking helmet.

> But IMO this funny red ball _r_e_a_l_l_y_ looks more attractive for
> newbies. At least, my co-workers (average PC users) have found it
> "friendly" and "intriguing", even "sexy".

 I think it looks cool and neat and hi-techish. But I have to say the first
thing my non techie GF said when she saw it was "it looks like our cat having a
hard-on through a helmet."
 Yea, get that one out of your head...

> There's enough place for sysadmins-"old salts" with Beastie tattoos,
> who, in fact, prefer FreeBSD not because of its "visual identity" at
> all. But heading towards FreeBSD as a popular desktop/home OS we must
> propose to the masses something shiny and sophisticated.
>
> Hey, Beastie is still here ;)

 Sherward Shwartz (spelling incorrect - creator of many top tv shows) once said
one of the main needs for a great show was a catchy theme song. If people can
remember it and it's catchy and singable.. people will remember the show.

 I just don't find the new "logo" catchy and singularly identifiable enough
without all the cool shading effects and such. If you can't draw it on a
blackboard and have people know what it is, it's not going to be effective.

 It's no more emotional than if someone changed the theme song to your favorite
TV to something you disliked or changed the packaging for you favorate soda or
something.

 Nicole

> Best regards,
> Alaksiej Carniajeu /AC
>
> Nicole wrote:
>
>>On 03-Nov-05 My Homeland Security "observers" reported that Chad Gross said:
>>

>>>I am glad I am not the only one. This logo is in no way, shape, or
>>>form better for FreeBSD compared to the last logo. I mean honestly. I
>>>am a marketing professional and I do not see the "progress" either. I
>>>too enjoy the advancement of FreeBSD when it is actual progress. And I
>>>agree with the above poster, does the logo really need changing? Maybe
>>>it just needs some new marketers... I mean a Fedora, a Penguin, and a
>>>Gecko have been working for Linux. And as a Christian I don't feel
>>>that the old logo was offensive either. At least it had character.
>>>Anyway, just an opinion of a user since 4.0.
>>>
>>>Chad M. Gross
>>>Executive Team Trainer
>>>

>> I prefer the old "logo" even if it wasn't truly a logo, but a mascot as
>>someone said. It had more character and could be regognized even in outline
>>form. Yes it wasn't as "friendly" as the Linux penquin and some with narrow
>>minds had issues with it, but this doesn't compare to either. It's the BSD
>>version of "new coke".
>>
>> What was wrong with the new happier friendly looking beastie?
>>
>> Nicole (user since 2.6)
>>  Who has a BSD tatoo and I really can't see anyone to getting a tatoo of
>>  this
>>new "logo"
>>
>>--
>>*******                |\ __ /|   (`\             *******
>> *   *                 | o_o  |__  ) )             *   *
>>  * *                 //      \\                    * *
>>   *   Blessed Be!        |      Powered by FreeBSD  *
>>----------------------(((---(((--------------------------------
>> http://www.unixgirl.com  -  http://www.deviantimages.com
>>            http://www.myspace.com/theparts
>>
>> Why do all the closed minds have open mouths?
>> -- Sister MaryMae Himm
>>
>>-- Walmart - We Screw Our Employee's,
>>                   To Bring You The The Best Prices!
>>
>> The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away
>> -- Tom Waits - "Step Right Up"