Main site makeover

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Sat May 28 23:59:20 PDT 2005

On May 29, 2005, at 12:55 AM, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>>> Actually, I've seen a front page that Chris did (I think) that's got
>>> the nice menu across the top and a really well designed front page.
>>
>> I just wanted to point out;
>>
>> There's *nothing* new about that design.
>> It still follows the old principles.
>
> It's ok.  Small incremental changes are easier to test and accept than
> full "throw it all away and use mine" style of update.
>
> The site now uses CSS a lot more than before, AFAIK.  I'm not a web
> design guru, but if someone came up with a style that looks like, say,
> Wikipedia it would be interesting.
>
> Any takers who want to try revamping the front page by using *only* CSS
> style changes?

Yes, that was exactly the idea. There is a version committed in
Perforce that took that approach and looks like this:

http://czv.com/zones/beastie/freebsd/freebsdweb1h.html
http://czv.com/zones/beastie/freebsd/freebsdweb2h.html

For now, the logo competition has put a wrench in going live with a
small redesign like this.

Specially for all the content pages besides the frontpage, it is
crucial to implement a redesign in a way that is compatible with the
current way these pages are built. A redesign that requires changes
beyond that will take forever to implement. What many don't seem to
understand is that the technical implementation of the design and the
design itself are two different things. They can't both happen at the
same time.

Changing the technical implementation will be a slow process that
requires a long term transition without changing the design at the same
time. The redesign itself is something that is implemented within the
existing technical framework and can be switched live at once.

I still argue that we need to first switch a small redesign live within
the current technical framework, then change the technical framework
(which will require updates to the markup of all the pages in the www
cvs tree for all the languages) and only after that we can undertake a
major redesign entirely based on CSS definitions.

Going a bit farther with just the frontpage is possible as long as it
is in line with the initially simple changes that can be made to the
content pages. For example Devon's div-based markup with the dynamic
menues that is currently in Perforce:

http://czv.com/zones/beastie/freebsd/freebsdweb1j.gif

Cheers, Chris

chris at czv.com  +41 329 41 41 41
Chris Zumbrunn Ventures - http://www.czv.com/
Internet Application Technology - Reduced to the Maximum