BSD Success Stories

Arjan van Leeuwen avleeuwen at piwebs.com
Sun Apr 4 13:43:03 PDT 2004

On Sunday 04 April 2004 01:53, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> Charon [Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 01:26:43AM +0800]:
> > On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 01:11:06AM -0500, Chris Laverdure wrote:
(quote ripped)

> Well, the real question is:
>
> 	http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2004/Feb/0123.html
>
> First thing is, we can laugh at Linux developers, who couldn't code proper
> uptme counter until 2.6.0.
>
> Second thing is, I wonder, how the uptimes will look in 1 - 2 years, just
> because Linux 2.6.x is getting to be widely used.
>
> Third, I don't really know, if that fault in Linux uptime counting really
> hits Netcraft. Perhaps they use some other method.
>
> Anyway, uptimes need a closer examination, before we can surely state some
> statements about it. Comments?

Uptimes aren't that interesting. Netcraft's reliability statistics are.
FreeBSD has been prominent in all the monthly reliability top 10s that
Netcraft has published. See the newest one:

  http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/04/04/most_reliable_hosting_providers_during_march.html

Arjan