BIOS Regression on HP/Compaq [d]v6000 series notebooks

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 19 03:10:20 UTC 2008

On Sun, 18 May 2008 13:05:28 +1000
Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> wrote:
> On 2008-May-17 19:43:26 +0800, Ariff Abdullah <ariff at FreeBSD.org>
> wrote:
> >Install sysutils/devcpu from ports, load cpu.ko, and grab / compile
> >http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/misc/k8c1e/ . Try playing with it
> >(enable, disable, status)
>
> It reported C1E disabled normally and enabled when I removed power.
> Explicitly disabling it when running on battery caused everything to
> behave.  Curiously, enabling C1E when running on AC power did not
> make things stop - which confused me.
>
> I extended k8c1e.c to report the actual IPMR contents.  This gave
> me the following.
>
> Running on AC (ie after plugging AC back in):
> cpu0: MSR=0x0000000004c10000 C1E disabled
> cpu1: MSR=0x0000000004c10000 C1E disabled
>
> Disconnecting AC:
> cpu0: MSR=0x0000000014c11015 C1E enabled
> cpu1: MSR=0x000000001cc11015 C1E enabled
>
> I notice that it doesn't set SmiOnCmpHalt on CPU0.  Interestingly,
> "BIOS and Kernel Developer's Guide for AMD NPT Family 0Fh
> Processors" (#32559) revision 3.08, states that each of
> C1eOnCmpHalt, SmiOnCmpHalt and IntPndMsg are mutually exclusive
> (only one can be set to 1) and that all cores should be programmed
> the same - it looks like the BIOS is not doing this.
>
> I don't know why your patch is not working.  It looks suspiciously
> like it's not getting the relevant ACPI notify message (or maybe the
> ACPI BIOS is sending the ACPI notify early and juggling C1E after
> the notify).  I checked and I _am_ running a kernel with the patch
> in it.

I've been thinking on taking a different stab by hijacking cpu_idle*()
functions instead. Please disregard all previous quirks and get either
of these:

http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/misc/k8c1e/current_k8c1e_idle_hlt.diff

http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/misc/k8c1e/releng6-7_k8c1e_idle_hlt.diff

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........