[RFC] Patch to enable temperature ceiling in powerd

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Feb 21 09:03:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 05:06:41PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>I'm having similar problems with an Intel STL2 Tupelo motherboard
>after upgrading to 7.0.

I had problems with one TZ on my laptop occasionally reporting
nonsense values.  I suspect it was actually a dry joint somewhere near
the sensor.  The MB eventually failed and the new MB is OK.  We had a
similar issue on a server at work - the vendor noticed that the system
was reporting an abnormally high temperature in one zone whilst
investigating an unrelated problem.  We eventually decided it was a
faulty sensor and a replacement board fixed it.

>  Only under load does the temperature
>shoot up, but I know the chip isn't getting hot and the fan
>is running - I've felt around in there and nothing was even
>close to the 117+C it was sensing.

Apart from the actual CPU, most parts of a system have a fairly
significant thermal mass so a rapid change in temperature either
indicates a catastrophic failure or the temperature sensor isn't
really reporting the temperature of the relevant zone.

--
Peter Jeremy