shutdown does not power down

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Dec 11 03:33:09 PST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Garrett Cooper wrote:
 > On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Unga <unga888 at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > > --- On Thu, 12/11/08, Nate Lawson <nate at root.org> wrote:
 [..]
 > >> Just post the output of dmesg after booting.

 > > Below is the dmesg verbose output.

Apart from loading acpi.ko straight after kernel, there's not a whiff of
detecting - or failing to detect - acpi at all that I could spot.

 > > I earlier wrote that "sysctl -a | grep acpi" shows lot of lines,
 > > that's because I manually created the /dev/acpi node before booting.

I don't understand this at all.  I thought it was created by acpi (via
devd?) on detecting the ACPI BIOS and having a rewarding chat with it?

 > > Since it's get hidden after mount the devfs and cannot unhide, I
 > > removed it. Now "sysctl -a | grep acpi" is empty.
 > >
 > > Please let me know if you need further information. I really want
 > > to understand what causing that /dev/acpi does not created.

Looks just like what you might expect to see choosing to boot without
acpi, except that it shows loading the module.

Unga, what's in your /boot/loader.conf ?

 > [ snip ]
 >
 > Have you tried compiling ACPI into the kernel? I do that at least and
 > it works for me.

Me too, but isn't that supposed not to matter nowadays?  Or does that
apply only to some modules, and perhaps not acpi?  (genuine question)

 > I noticed that no one asked what kind of hardware you have.

Or whether its BIOS is right up to date ..

cheers, Ian