shutdown does not power down

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 03:51:55 PST 2008

--- On Thu, 12/11/08, Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

> From: Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au>
> Subject: Re: shutdown does not power down
> To: "Garrett Cooper" <yanefbsd at gmail.com>
> Cc: unga888 at yahoo.com, freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org
> Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 7:33 PM
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>  > On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Unga
> <unga888 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  > > --- On Thu, 12/11/08, Nate Lawson
> <nate at root.org> wrote:
>  [..]
>  > >> Just post the output of dmesg after booting.
>
>  > > Below is the dmesg verbose output.
>
> Apart from loading acpi.ko straight after kernel,
> there's not a whiff of
> detecting - or failing to detect - acpi at all that I could
> spot.
>
>  > > I earlier wrote that "sysctl -a | grep
> acpi" shows lot of lines,
>  > > that's because I manually created the
> /dev/acpi node before booting.
>
> I don't understand this at all.  I thought it was
> created by acpi (via
> devd?) on detecting the ACPI BIOS and having a rewarding
> chat with it?

Since no /dev/acpi node, I mounted the root partition and created an acpi node /mnt/dev using mknod. Once boot, I get lot of lines in "sysctl -a | grep acpi". Since that /dev/acpi later disappear, I removed it the same way I created it by mounting the root partition.

>  > > Since it's get hidden after mount the devfs
> and cannot unhide, I
>  > > removed it. Now "sysctl -a | grep
> acpi" is empty.
>  > >
>  > > Please let me know if you need further
> information. I really want
>  > > to understand what causing that /dev/acpi does
> not created.
>
> Looks just like what you might expect to see choosing to
> boot without
> acpi, except that it shows loading the module.
>
> Unga, what's in your /boot/loader.conf ?

Empty

>  > [ snip ]
>  >
>  > Have you tried compiling ACPI into the kernel? I do
> that at least and
>  > it works for me.
>
> Me too, but isn't that supposed not to matter nowadays?
>  Or does that
> apply only to some modules, and perhaps not acpi?  (genuine
> question)
>
>  > I noticed that no one asked what kind of hardware you
> have.
Its mentioned in my previous mail. Its Intel P4.

> Or whether its BIOS is right up to date ..
BIOS seems old, but for FreeBSD 7 its not an issue, shutdown can power off. Its my second disk running FreeBSD RELENG_7 having a problem. Both versions are basically the same code, acpi code is identical, the problematic FreeBSD RELENG_7 is more evolved with various software updates.

Regards
Unga