Problem with ACPI using Abit BE6-II V2.0

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 18 14:46:41 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008 07:49:21 pm Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 03:42:36PM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> >3. When booted with "verbose", there are steadily error messages printed
> > on first console:
> >
> >	acpi: bad write to port 0x070 (8), val 0x4c
> >	acpi: bad read from port 0x071 (8)
>
> To quote sys/dev/acpica/Osd/OsdHardware.c:
>  * Some BIOS vendors use AML to read/write directly to IO space.  This
>  * can cause a problem if such accesses interfere with the OS's access to
>  * the same ports.  Windows XP and newer systems block accesses to certain
>  * IO ports.  We print a message or block accesses based on a tunable.
> ports 0x070 and 0x071 refer to the RTC & CMOS RAM and are blocked but
> it seems your AML wants to access location 0x4c.  FreeBSD prints out a
> warning when in verbose mode.

Note that futzing with the RTC might break the periodic clock interrupts which
would explain the breakage you are seeing with top not working, etc.  I would
try setting 'debug.acpi.block_bad_io=1' to disable access to these registers
altogether.  We should probably consider changing this to block by default
like other OS's (by default we still allow access to "sensitive" I/O ports
and just emit a warning).

--
John Baldwin