current powerstate and manually turn on/off?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Dec 13 12:12:32 PST 2004

In message: <41BDF6A7.3040702 at root.org>
            Nate Lawson <nate at root.org> writes:
: Warner Losh wrote:
: >>By using sysctl, I do know what's the current powerstate
: >>of each device. I wounder is there any command or sysctl
: >>that can manually turn device on or off?
: >
: >
: > Not really, no.
:
: I think this is something the drivers should handle and we don't need to
: add user access to power states since it's probably the biggest way to
: shoot yourself in the foot.  We already power down devices with no
: driver attached and once drivers get smart about powering down devices
: that are idle, this would cover all scenarios.

It would be nice to have a way to say "This is a really strong hint
that you are now idle, go to lowest power, highest latency to get out
of it mode."

Warner