svn-cur

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at missouri.edu
Tue Dec 27 16:58:54 UTC 2011

On 12/27/2011 10:41 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hi,
> Chris Rees wrote:

>> Stephen is pointing out that src-9.0001 is not an incremental delta;
>> there's no src-9.0000.
>>
>> Yes, when it gets to src-9.0100 there'll be an Empty file here,
>
> Ah good, Thanks.
>
>> but
>> since there's no difference between 0001 and 0001Empty, there's no
>> point in having both files there.
>
> OK.
> I'd suggest it's better to rename them with string Empty for consistency ?

When I modify or take over someone elses code, I try to follow their
style, even if this leads to slight inconsistencies.  The original
writer of the script mkCTM must have intended for the first delta to be
called xxx.0001.  There is a flag in the script called "CTMfirst."
Setting this to "1" causes the script to generate xxx.0001 by comparing
it to an empty directory.

This makes it very easy for me to start a new ctm series of deltas.  I
set this flag to "1," run the mkCTM script, then set this flag back to
"0," and then sit back and hope the whole thing works.

It probably wouldn't be terribly hard for me to make slight
modifications to mkCTM to rename it to .0001xEmpty.  But I prefer to
stick to the original design as much as possible.

Another subject - I have asked for the creation of the mailing lists.
But portmaster at freebsd.org bounced.  I also sent the request to
mailman at freebsd.org.  But if anyone has better suggestions as to where
to send the requests, please tell me.

Thanks, Stephen