cvs-cur

Stephen McKay smckay at internode.on.net
Fri Mar 28 21:43:14 PST 2003

On Friday, 28th March 2003, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

>On the other hand, one of the writers of the original software has suggested
>that he might rewrite it to accomodate a 5 digit numbering system.

Yes, I'll look at whether this is easy or not.  I expect it will be.  If
it turns out to be too fiddly, then I suppose resetting to 0000 isn't the
worst thing in the world.  Plenty of systems have rollovers and survive.

Also, in those few moments I have spare I've been thinking of adding
heuristics to the ctm system to detect files that have been moved (and
possibly slightly edited).  This should be 100% correct for unedited and
moved files (using the md5 hash), and should guess well for things with
the same base name but which have been moved, say, to the Attic.

This would reduce the size of a great many deltas, but would be an
incompatible change to the format.  I don't know if people would object.

Any thoughts?

Stephen.

PS I have no idea how many people use ctm nowadays.  Do we have an count?