cvs-cur

Stephen Montgomery-Smith stephen at math.missouri.edu
Fri Mar 28 17:39:09 PST 2003

Welcome to the new ctm-users mailing list.  I thought I would get a discussion
going by discussing an issue we will face in about nine months time.  cvs-cur
goes through about 100 deltas per month, which indicates that the current
numbering system is going to run out in about nine months.

There are several ways to overcome this - for example, to change to a five digit
numbering system.  However, the quick and dirty method I am currently thinking
of using is to simply restart the numbering.  This would mean that everyone
would have to delete the old cvs-cur directory, and completely restart with a
cvs-cur.0100xEmpty.gz.  This will be a recurring problem, but only every 8 years
or so.

On the other hand, one of the writers of the original software has suggested
that he might rewrite it to accomodate a 5 digit numbering system.

Best, Stephen

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
stephen at math.missouri.edu