Not recognizing raid controller Adaptec AIC7901

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 6 13:05:23 UTC 2009

enid vx wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having some problems installing FreeBSD on my Supermicro server equipped
> with :
>
> Single channel Adaptec® AIC-7901 controller for Ultra320 SCSI
> Host RAID 0, 1, 10 support

> the problem is when I try to install FreeBSd from the installer cd, it shows
> only the separated disks.

The Adaptec U320 controllers have no built-in support for RAID.  SW RAID
support is provided by the BIOS and the windows drivers.  Unfortunately
FreeBSD does not support the Adaptec SW RAID meta-data, hence the disks
are reported individually instead of as a single volume.

--
Justin