module.conf options

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Oct 4 14:52:50 PDT 2004

"P. Larry Nelson" wrote:

> Todd Denniston wrote:
>
> > if we are not seeing messages in /var/log/messages it may be that the kernel
> > for some reason (kudzu maybe??) no longer really sees the U160m, or at least
> > did not load the module for the aic7892a U160/m.
> >
> > Try lspci and see if the kernel sees the U160m on the pci bus.
> > Try lsmod and see if the aic7xxx driver (I am assuming that is the correct one
> > for this device) is loaded.
> > `cat /proc/scsi/scsi` to see if anything about your drive is known.
> > `ls /proc/scsi/` to see what if any scsi drivers are loaded.
> > if lspci sees the aic7892a but lsmod does not see aic7xxx, try
> > `modprobe aic7xxx`
> > and check /var/log/messages for any messages about your drive.
> > `cat /proc/scsi/scsi` to see if anything about your drive is known now.
>
> Thanks for the reply and some suggested troubleshooting tips!
>
> An 'lspci' *does* see the U160m.
> An 'lsmod' *does not* show the aic7xxx, just the aic79xx.
> A 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' shows nothing about the drive.
> An 'ls /proc/scsi' shows just the aic79xx.
>
> I then did a 'modprobe aic7xxx' (which took about 23 seconds to complete).
>
> An 'lsmod' now shows the aic7xxx, as expected and
> an 'ls /proc/scsi' shows the aic7xxx and
> a 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' now shows details about the Nexsan raid and
> I can now mount and use that raid.
>
> So, apparently I need to insert a 'modprobe aic7xxx' somewhere as the
> system boots up.  Any suggestions as to where?  I saw that rc.sysinit
> has some tests for doing various modprobes of other modules.  Would
> that be a good place to insert it - say, at the end?

If I was doing it by brute force, I would put it in rc.local.

I think the redhat way would be to change /etc/modprobe.conf or
/etc/modules.conf
on my system (someone else setup the initial system, so I am in the dark as to
WHY things were done the way they were done) it looks like they
mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
and then:
cat >> /etc/modprobe.conf << $END
include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
alias eth0 e1000
alias eth1 e1000
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
$END

so I would suggest checking /etc/modprobe.conf for your aic79xx driver.
if you see the 79xx add a similar line for 7xxx, otherwise try adding a line
like the one in mine.
also check /etc/modules.conf and see if there is a line
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

just read up on kudzu, you might try checking /etc/sysconfig/hwconf (its text)
to see if kudzu
a)detected your aic7892a
b)detected that the driver should be aic7xxx

--
Todd Denniston