aic79xx abort during boot

David Cross david.cross at msfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 8 14:48:00 PDT 2003

Justin,

Went back and attempted to install RH 9.0 again, this time with a clean install.  We
successfully booted the system.  The previous path to RH 9.0 was by way of an
upgrade which allowed me to install the software, but failed on boot.  I remember an
upgrade question regarding grub which I chose not to wipe grub clean.  After
thinking it over, I suppose this may have been key to the failure I was seeing.
After successfully booting, I used your aic79xx source driver to in building a new
kernel with lun support.  This build was also successful.

However, your comment about a possible revision issue on the IBM drives may still be
something I am facing.  There are intermittent messages during boot which would lead
me to believe that it might be in our better interest to pursue a revision update.
There is a series of messages that come up stating that:

    DV failed to configure device...

A google search lead me to believe that updated firmware revision from IBM could rid
me of this problem.

Thanks for your assistance,

David