Problem with AIC-7895 ULTRA and Linux 2.4.15-pre4

Metod Kozelj metod.kozelj at rzs-hm.si
Fri Nov 16 02:14:45 PST 2001

Hello,

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, David Wilson wrote:

> In trying to upgrade an IBM M/T 6889-56U machine to the latest Linux
> kernel (2.4.15-pre4) I ran into a problem with the new aic7xxx driver.

[ snip ]

> The complaint from the dmesg file was from the aic7xxx_pci.c routine
> about an illegal cable configuration.

[ snip ]

The excert below says everything ..

> (scsi1) Cables present (Int-50 YES, Int-68 YES, Ext-68 YES)
> (scsi1) Illegal cable configuration!!  Only two
> (scsi1) connectors on the SCSI controller may be in use at a time!

SCSI bus *has to be* a linear chain, not a star. And it has to be
terminated on both ends. If you have a star bus, you have problems with
signal propagation. Sometimes it still works and sometimes doesn't. So you
better use only two connectors at a time, just to avoid possible problems.

Peace!
  Mkx

---- perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'