Log messages...

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Fri Mar 9 08:42:24 PST 2001

Ales Bardorfer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Can someone explain what this "resetting for second half of retries"
> mean?
> Is my hard drive dieing (0,2,0)?  I already lost one such hard drive
> (IBM DMVS18N) and replaced it with IBM DDYS-T18350N.
> Should I be concerned?
> What could be causing the timeouts?
>
> Also the machine got completely frozen after this event, so I could not
> even do a clean shutdown. These are the last log messages prior the
> "hard reset". Excluding the first hard drive failure, this machine ran
> without any problems for a year now (with some reboots).
>
> 2.2.17 SMP kernel, 2x P-III 500 MHz, Intel 440LX mainboard with built in
> Adaptec SCSI host adapter (see below).
>
> Logs:
> Mar  9 11:11:59 robo kernel: scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half
> of retr
> ies.

This is usually the result of some command that didn't complete properly two
times in a row.  The reason can be varied.  Regardless though, my latest
aic7xxx driver or Justin Gibbs' driver, either one, should fix this.  Mine
latest version specifically fixed the scsi bus hang after a reset problem that
you had and it also fixed several situations that could lead to the resetting
for second half of retries problem.

--

 Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before