aic7xxx question

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 11:12:00 PST 2001

terry barnum wrote:

> I'm trying to add two 73 gig LVD cheetahs to an intel RH6.1 machine that
> currently has two 50 gig LVD cheetahs on it. The 50 gig drives are striped
> together as RAID-0 and I'd like to add the 73 gig drives as another RAID-0
> pair. Here's what I've tried:
>
> I downloaded linux-aic7xxx-6.1.2-rh61-modules.cpio.gz from
> http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/ and copied the resulting aic7xxx.o
> file into /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/scsi/. I remade the initrd, ran /sbin/lilo
> and then rebooted.
>
> The following error messages occured (from memory so please pardon any typos):
>
> SCSI<NULL>
> SCSI:0 hosts
> SCSI:0 hosts
> /lib/aic7xxx: init_module: resource or device busy
>
> It then complained about the raid /dev/md0, that it must be a nonpersistent
> RAID, and that there's a configuration problem with device right. I'm
> assuming these errors are because the scsi module was not loaded properly.
>
> The boot process stopped and I was allowed to enter maintanence mode or reboot.
>
> After copying the original aic7xxx.o file back, remaking the initrd and
> rerunning /sbin/lilo the machine boots fine, but unfortunately this version
> of the driver (5.1.20 I believe) goes into an endless host reset when I
> have the two 73 gig cheetahs attached.
>
> Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing? Is it possible that a
> slightly older version than 6.1.2 might work? If so, where can I find it?

You can try the 5.1.33 driver on my web site.  It very well might solve your
problem (there is a modules.cpio.gz file there and also a page of instructions
on how to use it).

--

 Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before