Still problems with SCSI scanning...

Jim Bryant kc5vdj at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 00:56:32 PST 2001

I recently saw the exact same messages after buying a used scanner for $5.00

The scanner I used was a Microtek ScanMaker 600ZS.

After searching the mailing list archives, I did find some info that makes me think that these are rogue SCSI [more like
Pseudo-SCSI] devices with a proprietary bastardized protocol.

If I misread something, will someone please chime in?

Tom Wirschell wrote:

> (I sent this message twice in the last 4 days with a 100kb attachment.
> It didn't make it into the list, so I'll assume the attachment is the
> issue. I've pasted the last few lines of the log at the bottom. If
> someone wants the original 100 kb attachment, ask and I'll send it to
> you directly)
>
> My machine locked up during scanning again, but this time it happened
> with full logging enabled and directed to a remote machine to make sure
> it survives the reboot.
>
> Since the full log (I started them last week) is 126 mb, I figured that
> would be a bit much, so I decided to send the last 100000 lines of the
> log to this list. The attached logs represent the last 2 minutes of my
> machine being up. I hope this will allow folks in here to make the
> driver more robust against such problems and/or offer suggestions w.r.t.
> what I can/should do to fix this.
>
> If anybody should need the rest of the logs, let me know and I'll see if
> I can get them your way.
>
> Note that the attached bzip2'd log will expand to roughly 7 MB.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Tom Wirschell

jim
--
          ET has one helluva sense of humor!
     He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!