Kernel hang with Adaptec 29160 and HP 6*40GB Surestore Autoloader

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Sat Aug 18 11:06:15 PDT 2001

>>If you just want the verbose setting, replace the above option line with:
>>
>>options aic7xxx aic7xxx='"verbose"'
>>
>Done. Is there an FAQ for this driver that has some of this info,
>http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/ is very sparse ..... also
>modinfo aic7xxx with the various options does not provide much info
>either ...

I only recently decifered how to get options to a module even though
the driver has supported it since its inception.  It was not straight
forward nor well documented in the man page for modules.conf.  I plan
to add a section to the aic7xxx web page about it.

I had never heard of "modinfo" prior to your mail, so I guess I'll
have to investigate what it does and how to feed it from the kernel.

>Attached please find a diff to the previous dmesg, now with the verbose
>messages, just after modprobe'ing aic7xxx, and the contents of
>/proc/scsi/aic7xxx/1. Below are the last messages seen when running "mt
>-f /dev/st0 status":

I could have sworn you were using something newer than 6.1.8.  6.1.8
is quite ancient and has a lot of bugs.  Your dmesg also doesn't list
any parity errors.  Did none occur on your most recent test?

--
Justin