Adaptec AHA-2940

Geoffrey Goodrum ggoodrum at perigee.ncdc.noaa.gov
Tue Oct 24 06:47:34 PDT 2000

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Ibarra, Amando wrote:

> I have an Adaptec AHA-2940 host adapter to connect a 2gb disk drive.
>
>  I'm seeing
>
>  scsi : 0 hosts.
>  scsi : detected total.
>
>  when it boots.
>
> The 1st time I installed the scsi card on the system ; the system detected
> without
> any problem and I was abled to go to the scsiSelect option and format the
> drive
> with no problem. Linux OS prompt if I wanted to configure the scsi card and
> I said OK.
>
> In the /etc/conf.modules files there is an entry for the dirver
>  'alias scsi-hostadapter aic7xxx'

Amando,

You might want to look at the recent thread "Re: Support for Adaptec
AVA-2906?".  Doug Ledford answered a similar question with a simple answer
that I had overlooked.

The SCSISelect is an Adaptec BIOS function, it is not part of Linux.

After Linux boots, do "/sbin/lsmod" and see if the aic7xxx module is
loaded.  If not, you will either need to do so manually or configure your
system to do so at boot (just having a conf.modules entry does not do
this).  To do so manually, as root do "modprobe aic7xxx" (or insmod, if
you prefer, see the man pages).  To do so automatically, either compile a
kernel with the aic7xxx driver compiled in, or create a RAMdisk boot image
that includes the module (see the man page for mkinitrd; this is where the
conf.modules entry is needed).

Geof Goodrum