Support for Adaptec AVA-2906?

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 15:53:52 PDT 2000

Jim Elliott wrote:

> I bought an Adaptec 2906 host adapter to connect an Excrix VXA-1 tape
> drive to my sorely-in-need-of-backup home Linux box, assuming it would
> just work with Linux, being a common card.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm seeing
>
> scsi : 0 hosts.
> scsi : detected total.
>
> when it boots.

Try typing "insmod aic7xxx" and see if the card is found then.  If so, the
only problem is that the system isn't configured to automatically enable your
card.  To set the system up to enable your card, you would add the line:

alias scsihostadapter aic7xxx

to the file /etc/conf.modules (or, on Red Hat 7 systems, /etc/modules.conf).
Once you've done that, the system should automatically load the SCSI driver
any time you try to access the tape device.

--

 Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before