aic7xxx=tag_info

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Apr 5 13:57:23 PDT 2000

sjbuller at us.ibm.com wrote:

> I need to surgically set the TCQ depths for one of my devices
> without clobbering TCQs for the whole system. The
> aic7xxx=tag_info parm looks like just the ticket, but can't
> get it to do what I told it to do.
>
> I've compiled the driver into the kernel, removed it from
> conf.modules and added the following to lilo.conf:
>
>   append="max_scsi_luns=64 aic7xxx=tag_info:{,,{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7}}"
>
> This should leave the first two adapters (0 and 1) alone and
> set scsi2 ID0 to 0, ID1 to 1, etc. for demo purposes.
>
> This works for ID0-3, but does not for ID4-7.  I get:
>
>    Default Tag Queue Depth: 100
>        Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 2:
>          {0,1,2,3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0}
>        Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 2:
>          {1,1,1,1,1,1,100,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}
>
> Since I could not get past ID3, I had to use a sledgehammer
> solution of compiling the kernel with TCQ with TCQ
> default=enabled and default depth=100 (I need to set TCQ depth
> on ID6 to around 75 or 80).
>
> I would like to leave everything as close to "out of box" as
> possible by just enabling and setting scsi2:ID6 to whatever.
>
> Another attempt with:
>   append="max_scsi_luns=64 aic7xxx=tag_info:{,,{75,75,75,75,75,75,75,75}}"
> Resulted in:
>    Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 2:
>             {75,75,75,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0}
> Note that only the first 3 were set....
>
> Any ideas what is going on here?

Sounds like lilo is eating your append line in some way.  I've got a much
longer append line that works fine with my setup.  You can always skip the
first few devices in host instance 2 to get on up to where you want to be:

tag_info:{,,{,,,,75}} would actually be fine if all you wanted was to set the
depth on device 4 of controller 2 to 75.

--

 Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before