AHA 2910 + CDRW 4416S under Linux

Eric NOULARD Eric.Noulard at prism.uvsq.fr
Fri Mar 19 02:18:26 PST 1999

	I recently bought an yamaha CDRW 4416S
and an Adaptec AHA 2910c. I am under Linux 2.0.35
with another 2940UW + IBM UW external disk.

	I put the CDRW in an external box.
	I've plugged the 2910c into one free PCI slot.
	The CRDW is autoterminated.
	I switch on the termination on 2910c.

	I may boot (on my UW disk) and the 2 scsi cards
and peripheral are properly detected,
I may even mount a CDROM (iso9660) from /dev/sr0.

	The trouble is I cannot read the CDROM properly. For
example when I try read a pdf file from the CD acroread says
the file is dammaged (this is not true with my EIDE CDROM).
I can do 'ls -lR' I can even read file with 'vi' but it
seems that for 'big' file or intensive read this doesn't works
(like a 'tar ztvf bigarchive.tgz').
I have no timeout, and no messages in /var/log/messages.

	I didn't try to burn any CD since I would like it
to run as CD-ROM before throwing CD-R(W).

	Did anybody has any such experience before?
	(may be it is not 2910c related? so excuse me for this)

	Eric