2940U2W, DAT HP C1537, 2.2.10, 5.1.18

Mikko Hyvarinen morphy at morphy.iki.fi
Sun Jul 11 10:04:38 PDT 1999

Frank Buhr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> if I only had bought a plain ultra adapter...
> but they were sold out, so I chose the U2W.
>
> Unfortunately my very simple configuration with
> a single DAT Tape at the narrow connector simply refuses to work.
> ("timeout" in the log, "mt status" hangs)
>
> After some hours of experimentation I arrived at the latest software
> releases, very conservative parameters, but with no success.
> And -- strange enough -- it works fine with NT!
>
> May the solution is already there -- in the logs --
> has anyone got an idea?
>
> Frank
>
> ---
> adapter:      AHA-2940U2W, BIOS 2.11.0
> device:       DAT HPC1537 at narrow connector
>               configured for async transfers in SCSI setup (conservative...)
> linux kernel: 2.2.10
> aic7xxx:      5.1.18

I have the same problem with my setup:
adapter:      AHA-2940U2W, BIOS 2.01.0
device:       DAT HP34580A at narrow connector with an active terminator
at the end of the cable
linux kernel: 2.0.37 (aic7xxx 5.1.13) works, 2.2.x don't (2.2.10-ac3 +
aic7xxx 5.1.18 included)

symptoms: mt hangs, machine continues to otherwise work normally. scsi
timeout 4 hours later makes mt abort the operation. setup works normally
with 2.0.37 and other operating systems.

-Mikko Hyvärinen