Kernel-SCSI crash. (Serious bug since 5.0.11?)

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Fri Jul 9 18:56:40 PDT 1999

Stephan Loescher wrote:

> Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com> writes:
>
> Hi!
>
> Thank you very much!
> I have undefined MMAPIO in Linux 2.0.36 (5.1.4/3.2.4) and now it is
> stable.
>
> > OK, I must have missed this report somehow.  Anyway, the big item of change
> > between the 5.0.10 and later versions is that all later versions default to
> > using MMAPIO instead of PIO.  So, if you want to test things out, go into the
>
> What is the difference between MMAPIO and PIO?
> Is there an problem with my 3940U-card?
> Can I uncomment MMAPIO in 2.2.x and 2.3.x-kernels, too?

MMAP I/O uses the PCI only mechanism of a MMAPed I/O region to talk to the
card, where as PIO is done by using the CPU's inb and outb instructions to
talk to the device through the old ISA I/O space.  Is there a problem with
your card?  Maybe, or it might be a card/motherboard combination that isn't
happy.  Who knows.  MMAPed I/O can be uncommented in any version of the driver
unless you are on PowerPC where MMAPed I/O is the only method that works.

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford at redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but