multi scsi questions

Eric NOULARD Eric.Noulard at prism.uvsq.fr
Thu Jul 8 00:54:24 PDT 1999

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 01:21:53PM -0400, Danny Park wrote:

> > So in your case put all narrow devices on the U adapter and the wide
> > devices on the UW adapter and you should be fine. To get both adapters
> > running at the same time try locating the aicxxx Dokumentation and README
> > files in the kernel-tree or on the WWW. You probably will have to tell the
> > kernel that there are two adapters.
>
> that's kind of what i'd like to do, though this isn't working for me on
> recent versions of the driver (anything above what's included in 2.0.36).
> i wonder if it is a bad idea to downgrade the aic7xxx driver version in a
> linux 2.2 kernel... a reverse patch of sorts...
>
> 2.2.10 works when i remove one of the two cards.  where should i go from
> here?  boot with max aic verbose settings?  admit defeat and just go with
> one card?  (i'm close to doing this, except it means i'd have to buy a
> wide->narrow scsi2 external converting thing in order to get my external
> devices working).  what could the problem possibly be because it sounds
> like other people get multiple cards working just fine.. timing problems?
> bios issues?

	I have two Adaptec SCSI card in my box,
	1) 2940 UW  (Wide device attached Hardrive)
	2) 2910 CD  (Narrow devices attached, Scanner, CDRW)

	I had no problem with either 2.0.36 nor 2.2.10.
	The difference I see is that my 2910CD does not have an
on board BIOS, so there is no conflict at boot time.
	I think you should disable the bios of one of the 2 cards
(you must keep the BIOS enabled on the card where your boot device
 is attached)

	Just a hint, I'm not an expert. :))

        Eric NOULARD