multi scsi questions

Danny Park dpark at mit.edu
Wed Jul 7 10:22:00 PDT 1999

> Sorry, I don't get the complete picture.
> 1) Do you want to put the two controllers on *one* SCSI-Bus?
> 2) Or do you wan't to use both cards, having two separate SCSI-Buses with
>    their respective own devices?

i actually meant #2, sorry, it was a dumb question i should've thought a
little more about.

> So in your case put all narrow devices on the U adapter and the wide
> devices on the UW adapter and you should be fine. To get both adapters
> running at the same time try locating the aicxxx Dokumentation and README
> files in the kernel-tree or on the WWW. You probably will have to tell the
> kernel that there are two adapters.

that's kind of what i'd like to do, though this isn't working for me on
recent versions of the driver (anything above what's included in 2.0.36).
i wonder if it is a bad idea to downgrade the aic7xxx driver version in a
linux 2.2 kernel... a reverse patch of sorts...

both my 2.0.36 and 2.2.10 detect both cards just fine, but the 2.2.10 gets
stuck as it probes for devices spinning off Test Unit Ready messages every
now and then (i just realized also that as this happens, it sounds like
the hard disk is powering up/down every few seconds, which can't be good).

2.2.10 works when i remove one of the two cards.  where should i go from
here?  boot with max aic verbose settings?  admit defeat and just go with
one card?  (i'm close to doing this, except it means i'd have to buy a
wide->narrow scsi2 external converting thing in order to get my external
devices working).  what could the problem possibly be because it sounds
like other people get multiple cards working just fine.. timing problems?
bios issues?

-danny