aha 2940's and kernel boot problems

Jonathan Larmour jlarmour at cygnus.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 10:53:06 PDT 1999

Danny Park wrote:
> error message---
> scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
>
> problem---
> i am currently running RH 5.2 / linux 2.0.36 and it detects and boots these
> devices fine (root partition is on an ide disk)
> i installed RH 6.0 / linux 2.2 on another root partition (on a scsi disk)
> whenever i boot to that setup, it detects the two cards just fine, but when it
> starts looking for devices on the busses, it prints the error message above,
> and stalls... every few minutes it'll print another "Test Unit Ready" line.

Yep, I can report the same type of problem. I upgraded from linux 2.0, which
worked fine, to 2.2.5, and then to 2.2.10, which both have this problem. In
my case I have a single AHA2940U2W, with an internal Seagate disk, and
external Jaz drive. If the Jaz drive is off (the 2940 and Jaz drive
auto-terminate), then everything is fine. If the Jaz drive is switched on,
then during the SCSI bus scan, it reports the same message as Danny.

Adding aic7xxx=verbose didn't provide any information that wasn't already
obvious - just stuff about queuing and aborting SCBs.

If panic_on_abort is set, then it reports p->flags=0x3804d01, p->chip=0x406,
p->features=0xf6, sequencer isn't paused.

However interestingly if I try rebooting and rebooting, it may eventually
work (although only if there is no Jaz cartridge actually present in the
drive). I can then put in a Jaz cartridge and it works fine. This seems to
rule out any SCSI termination problems.

So, any ideas? This is definitely a regression from the aic7xxx driver that
came with linux 2.0.35 at least.

Jifl
--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"I used to have an open mind but || Get yer free open source RTOS's here...