aic-7850, redhat 6.0, and kernel boot problems

al aldaddy at erols.com
Sun Jul 4 15:16:39 PDT 1999

Please help,

I have a:

Digital Priorsis LX-590 (basicly, a Pentium 90, 24 meg ram, within builtin
AIC-7850 SCSI-2 controller,id=7)

Compaq C2490A- 2.0 gigabyte SCSI drive, id=0
Chinon CDS-535- SCSI Cdrom reader, id=6

While booting from a Redhat LINUX 4.2 or 5.2 installation floppy everything
works fine.  When I boot from Redhat 6.0 installation floppy(from May 1999,
RedHat distribution CD), I get this far:

I start in "expert"
select the 2940 SCSI drive option
tried autoprobe with no options and options(aic7xxx=no_probe)
it recognizes the compaq drive
it doesn't recognize the cdrom and give the following error message:

 scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 14, scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun
0
 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00

 it repeats a reset message ad nauseum and says it is "trying harder"

I'm new to LINUX.  I downloaded the  5.1.18-2.2.10 patch, but don't know how
to patch an install disk.

Any suggestions?

Alan