AHA 2940 Problem - Halftime Summary

Harald Grabow hgrabow at volvox.mayn.de
Wed Jul 7 03:43:49 PDT 1999

Hi.

So, first of all, 2 of my devices are external. I'm going to get an active
Terminator today, hope I'll ever need it again.
But anyways I couldn't explain why things should work better then.

Kernel version 2.2.10 w/ aic7xxx.c v5.1.17 only made the kernel boot, but
then I suddenly had my external disc *partially mirrored over* my internal
one! You might understand why I have not investgated this furthermore.
Luckily I jumped clear at the last second ;)
The reflection remained, and the other strangeness as well. Only no more
Timeouts and Bus resets.

There is even more strangeness to find: SyncTrans Speed for my internal
CDROM is reduced w/o obv. reason when external dev. connected etcpp.

Things appear to work fine with no external devices connected.

I really would like to get into solving this the "hard way", but unluckily
the external devices are not really mine, and I should (since 3 weeks)
install Linux for a friend on that disc, making no real progress the way
things are.
So if you don't hear anything more after this Mail, I got me another
controller. This is beginning to get really annoying.

So much for now,
        and thanks for all your help.