Is the Dell Poweredge 6300 OK with Linux?

Chance Reschke reschke at astro.washington.edu
Fri Sep 18 19:07:12 PDT 1998

> Subject says it...  Any people using them yet ?  Any SCSI or SMP
> problems ?  I'm considering a purchase...

Beware of the AMI RAID controllers.  I had one from an older Dell server
which I finally had a chance to try under Linux when Jeff Jones at AMI
released a beta driver a couple of weeks ago.  In a single-CPU 440LX based
machine the driver worked great - good performance, low CPU overhead.  In
a dual-CPU 44FX based Dell server box, however the driver kernel panicked
and crashed the machine regularly.

I don't know what the issues are, but this driver isn't ready for prime
time yet.

 - Chance

Btw, I think it's great that AMI is developing a Linux driver for what
appears to be great product!