no luck with AIC7890 and X-Windows

Jeroen Massar jeroen at mitgroep.card.azr.nl
Tue Sep 1 00:02:01 PDT 1998

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:

> Alex Farber wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am really envious when reading all the success messages in this list.
> >
> > I have an ASUS-mainboard with AIC7890 and an Ultra2 IBM disk. Also an IDE
> > disk (where Red Hat 5.1 is installed) and Diamond V330 PCI-graphic card.
> >
> > I have tried pre6 and pre7 patches with 2.0.35-2 kernel and I can
> > mount the /dev/sda1 (even with vfat) when using console. But when
> > I start X-Windows, everything hangs and I see just black screen.
> > X-Windows works fine with the same kernel w/o patches.
> >
> > What could it be? Is there maybe some connection between PCI and SCSI?
> > I tried disabling/enabling different SCSI BIOS options - no luck.
> >
> > So, please don't stop working on the AIC7XXX patch.
>
> This sounds like your video card and the aic7xxx controller have overlapping
> IO regions.  Check the output of /proc/pci to make sure.  If you have to,
> try moving the video card to a different PCI slot and resetting the PCI
> configuration data in the motherboard BIOS.

Notez bien: the 4th PCI Slot shares an IRQ-LINE (yes a LINE) with the
aic7890, thus meaning whenever the 7890 gets an IRQ the 4th PCI slot does
too.... I got this info from the asus manual but I don't recall exactly
where... I do know that a friend mobo didn't install Linux NOR NT because
it had a card in slot 4... So try it without it...
We've also noticed that even when you're running at 66mhz bus you'll need
100mhz memory with the Asus P2B-DS, this due to timing with the BX
chipset.

Jeroen Massar