Zip drive and AHA2910

Matthew Kay mwkay at spud.me.wustl.edu
Thu Oct 29 06:10:39 PST 1998

Hi,

Has anyone had problems using an Iomega Zip drive and the AHA2910?
Actually, I have the 2910C. A Umax scanner (610S) and the zip  drive are
the only devices attached to the scsi card. A Promise UDMA EIDE card
controls the hard drives, and two EIDE/ATAPI cdroms are controlled by the
motherboard.

The scanner works like a charm but the zip drive constantly hangs. I can
read and write to the zip but at approxiametly every-other read/write the
zip drive will stop responding for 5 minutes or so. If I wait long enough
it will eventually finish the job. It appears that the driver is
attempting to reset the scsi device, gives up, then tries again. (If that
makes any sense.) I have included some data below.

I am wondering if maybe I should pass the following command to the
kernel: aic7xxx=no_reset

Any ideas?

Much thanks,
Matt
mwkay at spud.me.wustl.edu

#more /proc/scsi/scsi

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IOMEGA   Model: ZIP 100          Rev: E.08
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: UMAX     Model: Astra 610S       Rev: V1.3
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02

#more /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.0.19/3.2.4
Compile Options:
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 5
  AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Adapter Support Enabled
                             Check below to see which
                             devices use tagged queueing
  AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Enabled (This is no longer an option)
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled

Adapter Configuration:
           SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI host adapter
                           Narrow Controller
    Programmed I/O Base: fc00
      Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Disabled
                    IRQ: 11
                   SCBs: Active 0, Max Active 1,
                         Allocated 30, HW 3, Page 255
             Interrupts: 643
      BIOS Control Word: 0x0000
   Adapter Control Word: 0x0058
   Extended Translation: Disabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0x00ff
 Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
Default Tag Queue Depth: 8
    Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
    Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}

Statistics:
(scsi0:0:1:0)
nxfers 594 (277 read;317 written)
blks(512) rd=282; blks(512) wr=61190
        < 512 512-1K   1-2K   2-4K   4-8K  8-16K 16-32K 32-64K 64-128K
>128K
 Reads:     0    272      5      0      0      0      0      0      0
0
Writes:     0     29      3     12     14      7      0      2    250
0

#dmesg

SCSI host 0 abort (pid 560) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 560) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 562) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 562) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 562) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 560) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 594, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
lun 0 Write (6) 01 11 b5 f4 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 595, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
lun 0 Write (6) 01 12 a9 f4 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 596, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
lun 0 Write (6) 01 13 9d f4 00
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 594) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 596) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 595) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 604, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
lun 0 Write (6) 01 1b 3d f4 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 605, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
lun 0 Write (6) 01 1c 31 40 00
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 606, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
lun 0 Write (6) 00 00 33 05 00
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 604) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 605) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 604) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

Matthew W. Kay                       Office: (314) 935-7562
Washington University, St. Louis        Fax: (314) 935-4014
E-mail: mwkay at spud.me.wustl.edu
WWW page needs updating but here it is if you'd like to look:
http://userfs.cec.wustl.edu/~mwk2/HOMEPAGE/index.html