Problems applying 5.0.x patches

Steve Brueggeman stevebr at primenet.com
Fri Mar 20 05:51:38 PST 1998

My sincere apologies!  I did read the README.aix7xxx, but with all of my linking
and re-linking of differently patched kernel directories, I must have
accidentally read an old one.  The new one was VERY useful.  Thank you!

I now have a properly working patched kernel.  Still have to put it through it's
paces.

Concerning my Tape drive, and wide/sync negotiation.  I could see how the large
number of message bytes that occur with sync/wide/disconnect negotiation could
be too much for some devices to cope with.  Hadn't thought of that before.

Before I send you my tape drive, would a SCSI bus trace be of any use to you?
Maybe this trace combined with some well placed printk()'s?

>Now, as a side note, I didn't take the time to update the
>/usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.aic7xxx file for nothing.  The answer to
>your question about the BIOS sorting order is in there.  Read it.
>
>This merely means that your BIOS uses a descending SCAN of the PCI bus
>instead the normal ascending scan.

Again, my sincere apologies for my mistake.  All's well now!

>Good question.  Send me your broken tape drive and I'll get it fixed.
>Unfortunately, my tape drive doesn't cause this, so I don't know what code
>path is being followed to generate this error.  The last time there was
>anything like this that was fixed, it was when we had too large of a message
>in the MESG_OUT phase for the device to handle.  That was fixed when we set
>the driver to never try and negotiate while using a tagged command.
>

>Try that README.aic7xxx file I mentioned.

Keep up the good work!

Steve Brueggeman