Problems with aic7880 please help

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Tue Mar 17 08:49:50 PST 1998

Andreadakis Manolis wrote:

> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: HP       Model: 4.26GB B 68-0854 Rev: 0854
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST34572W         Rev: 0784
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Are both of these drives wide drives, or just the Seagate?

> it seems ok to me
>
> the /proc]# cat scsi/aic7xxx/0 is :
>
> Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.0.0/3.2.2
                                  ^^^^^
You might want to upgrade that :)  5.0.8 is out now and there are several
fixes/corrections that were made along the way.

> I had linux installed on the first disk with no problems and then
> installed the
> second disk (SEAGATE).

Make sure that termination is correct.  If one drive is wide and one is
narrow, then they are probably on two different cables.  In that case, both
drives should have termination turned on and the controller should have
termination set as High on/Low off.

> When i tried to run fdisk on it (/dev/sdb)
> fdisk first complained about the number of cylinders being over 1024

That must be an older fdisk.  In any case, the number of sectors doesn't
change how the driver or the kernel works, it only warns about does
compatibility and the / filesystem since the BIOS needs to be able to read
it.

>    Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *        1        1     1501  1537008   83  Linux native
> /dev/sda2     |->    1024     1502     1602   103424   82  Linux swap
> /dev/sda3     |->    1024     1603     3103  1537024   83  Linux native
> /dev/sda4     |->    3072     3104     4067   987136   83  Linux native
>                  This is unusual or thereis a logic explanation??

It's usual for certain versions of fdisk to print things out like this.

> Furthermore when i run mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb1 the system frezees at around
> 79/129 inodes and
> then prints messages about resetting the scsi bus , trying harder etc

This is what makes me think it's a termination issue :)  The systems fine
until you actually hit the Seagate drive hard.

> Currently the first disk works but i'm afraid that this inconistency in
> the partition table will lead
> me into troubles when i reach the disks capacity and start writing at
> those cylinders.

Not a problem.  The disk number isn't what is causing the problem.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but