Problems with aic7880 please help

Andreadakis Manolis andread at stat5.civil.auth.gr
Tue Mar 17 06:40:00 PST 1998

Hello, could someone help me or is having the same problems with me?.
I have RedHat linux 5.0  on a  HP NetSrver LC II with an aic7880 on
board.

the /proc/scsi/scsi is:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: 4.26GB B 68-0854 Rev: 0854
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST34572W         Rev: 0784
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

it seems ok to me

the /proc]# cat scsi/aic7xxx/0 is :

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.0.0/3.2.2
Compile Options:
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 15
  AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Enabled (This is no longer an option)
    See AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING_BY_DEVICE in the file
drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.c
    to disable tagged queueing on problematic devices.
  AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Enabled (This is no longer an option)
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Disabled

Adapter Configuration:
           SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter
                           Ultra Narrow Controller
                Base IO: 0xf800
         Base IO Memory: 0xfecff000
    BIOS Memory Address: 0x0
                         Disabled
                    IRQ: 11
                   SCBs: Active 0, Max Active 8,
                         Allocated 30, HW 16, Page 255
             Interrupts: 13741
   Extended Translation: Disabled
         SCSI Bus Reset: Enabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0xffff

it also seems ok

I had linux installed on the first disk with no problems and then
installed the
second disk (SEAGATE). When i tried to run fdisk on it (/dev/sdb)
fdisk first complained about the number of cylinders being over 1024
Thinking this was no important i moved on and made my partitions
At that point i noticed that the first disk had some unusual partitions

Here is the output of the fdisk on the first disk

Disk /dev/sda: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 4067 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        1        1     1501  1537008   83  Linux native
/dev/sda2     |->    1024     1502     1602   103424   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3     |->    1024     1603     3103  1537024   83  Linux native
/dev/sda4     |->    3072     3104     4067   987136   83  Linux native

                 This is unusual or thereis a logic explanation??

The same happens on the second disk

Furthermore when i run mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb1 the system frezees at around
79/129 inodes and
then prints messages about resetting the scsi bus , trying harder etc

Currently the first disk works but i'm afraid that this inconistency in
the partition table will lead
me into troubles when i reach the disks capacity and start writing at
those cylinders.

thanks in advance.