JAZ drives on Adaptec 2940s

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Mar 13 09:30:19 PST 1998

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Dave Meyer wrote:

> Robert G. Brown wrote:
> > Yeah; it works fine.  Two remarks:  If you have it in your fstab (as
> > /dev/sdb1, for example) you will need to have an appropriately formatted
> > cartridge in it at boot time.  If you choose not to have it there, you
> > will need to use root a fair amount or otherwise arrange to permit
> > non-root persons to mount a real filesystem (something that could be a
> > potential security problem at some sites, although others may not care).
>
> Not at all.  You can use "noauto" (don't automatically mount at boot
> time) and "user" (allows any user to mount/unmount) as mount options in
> fstab. If you do this, you may need different mount points for different
> filesystems, as the "user" option won't allow you to override the
> fstype.  You can also use autofs to automount the disk.  I've just
> started doing this with my zip drive and it works fine, though there's
> no good way to force the disk to be unmounted.

These sound like better solutions; I encountered the problem when trying
to boot with an msdos fs cartridge in when I had an ext2 mount in the
fstab (didn't like that, it didn't).  In the configuration you suggest,
one would have two mount points (e.g. /jazext2 and /jazmsdos), two
entries to mount /dev/sdbX on one or the other but noauto, and then a
user could type in e.g. mount /jazext2 or /jazmsdos from userspace?

Does your final remark mean that the same user cannot just

umount /jazext2
 (change disks)
mount /jazmsdos

or is it darker and deeper than that?

 Thanks for the suggestion,

     rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu