JAZ drives on Adaptec 2940s

Dave Meyer dmeyer at std.saic.com
Fri Mar 13 08:23:45 PST 1998

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> Yeah; it works fine.  Two remarks:  If you have it in your fstab (as
> /dev/sdb1, for example) you will need to have an appropriately formatted
> cartridge in it at boot time.  If you choose not to have it there, you
> will need to use root a fair amount or otherwise arrange to permit
> non-root persons to mount a real filesystem (something that could be a
> potential security problem at some sites, although others may not care).

Not at all.  You can use "noauto" (don't automatically mount at boot
time) and "user" (allows any user to mount/unmount) as mount options in
fstab. If you do this, you may need different mount points for different
filesystems, as the "user" option won't allow you to override the
fstype.  You can also use autofs to automount the disk.  I've just
started doing this with my zip drive and it works fine, though there's
no good way to force the disk to be unmounted.

	Dave

--
Dave Meyer
Virtual Technology Corporation