JAZ drives on Adaptec 2940s

Andy Dougherty doughera at lafcol.lafayette.edu
Thu Mar 12 14:09:08 PST 1998

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:

> Paul Joselow wrote:
> >
> > Dear Group:
> >
> > I am thinking of getting a SCSI IOmega JAZ drive for a Linux box with an
> > Adaptec 2940.  Does anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Enough to know that they work fine as long as you *don't* enable tagged
> queueing on these drives.  Certain versions of their firmware will refuse
> tagged queueing, and other versions will silently corrupt data if you send
> multiple tagged commands.

Ahh, ok.  That saves me a day of testing, then :-).  I had some corruption
problems with tagged queueing enabled, but they cleared up when I turned
off tagged queueing.  I was planning to investigate further, but I guess
someone else already has done so.

I've also had reliability problems with Jaz drives.  I'm on my 5th drive
and probably my 10th disk in just one year.  Others have had great luck.
Go figure.  Your mileage may vary.

    Andy Dougherty		doughera at lafcol.lafayette.edu
    Dept. of Physics
    Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042