LIUNX: Hacking 5.0.19/2.1.107 to detect/support 2940U2W?

Greg Wickham G.Wickham at deakin.edu.au
Mon Jun 29 18:21:20 PDT 1998

Hi,

I've spent a few hours over the last couple of days hacking
the aic7xxx driver (V5.0.19) in kernel version 2.1.107 to detect
and support an Adaptec 2940U2W (Ultra2 LVD controller).

I have *NO* idea if I am on the right track or not. Currently
I'm just working through the FreeBSD cam code (from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam/) and adding things which
aren't apparent or seem Ultra2 specific into the aic7xxx driver.

At the moment, the 2940U2W card is detected through pci, and
then the card is reset. However, while scanning the scsi bus,
it continually times out and attempts to query id 0.

The controller has an LVD hard disk at scsi id 6, narrow
ultra cd roms are at 3 and 5. At the moment, I'm really only
interested in getting the cdroms going (bread and butter).
The hard disk can wait. From the comments in the freebsd cam
code it seems that LVD harddrives haven't been checked/verified
yet, so I'm not too worried.

Does anyone feel like lending a hand? I'm in the middle of exam
marking (*sigh*) and am only using this as a distraction
infrequently. If there is any interest I'll make a snap shot of
the patches to the above kernel/driver version and put them
up on the WWW.

   -Greg

Lecturer                                          Dr. Greg Wickham
School of Computing and Mathematics ______________________________
Deakin University                   Voice: (+61 3) 5227 1381
Geelong VIC 3217                    eMail: G.Wickham at deakin.edu.au
Australia                    WWW: http://www.cm.deakin.edu.au/~gjw