aic7xxx problems

Matthew Cummings cummings at stingray.net
Tue Jun 9 20:11:36 PDT 1998

Mark Anthony Lisher <mal at itl.net> wrote:
> (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Bad scbptr 255 during SELTO.
> (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Referenced SCB 255 not valid during SELTO.
>         SCSISEQ = 0x12 SEQADDR = 0xb SSTAT0 = 0x15 SSTAT1 = 0x8a

I have been getting the above as well, and I also get EXT2-fs error
(device 08:11): ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: Wrong free inodes count in
super block, stored = 1049521, counted = 1049519.  The machine just will
not run for very long before some scsi problem kills it, sometimes it
tries to reset and hangs, sometimes it just locks solid with no messages
logged or on the screen.  I have disabled disconnects and wide
negotiation with no luck, what else can I try?

The bios version on the Adaptec card is 1.32 and it seems the problems
started as soon as I added additional HD's.  When this happened I
recompiled the kernel with the 5.0.18 drivers with no success in regards
to fixing the problems.  Could the Quantums somehow be the problem even
though I see others having problems with other drives?

The stats for my system are listed below.

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.0.18/3.2.4
Compile Options:
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 15
  AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Adapter Support Enabled
                             Check below to see which
                             devices use tagged queueing
  AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Enabled (This is no longer an option)
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled

Adapter Configuration:
           SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter
                           Wide Controller
    PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xe1000000
      Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Enabled
                    IRQ: 10
                   SCBs: Active 1, Max Active 2,
                         Allocated 30, HW 16, Page 255
             Interrupts: 38522
      BIOS Control Word: 0x18a6
   Adapter Control Word: 0x005c
   Extended Translation: Enabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0x0000
 Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
Default Tag Queue Depth: 8
    Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
    Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: FIREBALL ST4.3S  Rev: 0F0C
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: FIREBALL ST4.3S  Rev: 0F0C
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: FIREBALL ST3.2S  Rev: 0F0C
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

--
Legal Warning: Do NOT send unsolicited commercial email to me - consider this
an official notice.

cummings at TRY-IT&PAYmcmsys.com - http://www.mcmsys.com/~cummings